Pores are essential to your skin’s health because they provide the oil necessary to keep skin soft and hydrated. But they can also become enlarged and unsightly when they are dilated, infected or clogged with oil – causing an unattractive appearance and the degradation of one’ self-confidence.
- Genetics:People who have naturally thick and oily skin tend to have larger pores.
- Age: As people get older, the cumulative effect of sun exposure and decreased skin elasticity can cause pores to dilate.
- Blackheads: When bacteria and dirt clog pores, oil within the pore can accumulate, causing an expansion in diameter.
- Proper cleansing: Cleaning the face of excess oil, debris and bacteria can significantly reduce pore size. Using a topical cleanser containing the antioxidant powers of Retinol or Vitamin C can increase the skin’s collagen and elastin production while loosening impurities and oil from the pores.
- Exfoliating: Using an approved at-home facial scrub or having a microdermabrasion treatment can gently scrub off dead skin cells at the surface, revealing healthier skin beneath.
- Make-up: Start with a skin primer to even out skin tone and prevent foundation from penetrating your pores. Use a cream or cream-to-powder foundation to conceal large pores better than liquid options. Finally, dust your face with a loose translucent powder for a more even finish.
Just as everyone’s face is unique, we believe each person deserves a custom treatment plan carefully designed with their needs and goals in mind. There are a handful of different treatment options available, each with their own strengths.
Two laser resurfacing procedures are available for treating enlarged pores. Sciton Micron Peel is an intra-epidermal laser peel that precisely ablates the outermost layers of the skin. The depth of the procedure is individually tailored for the depth of your pores.
Halo Pro is a non-ablative treatment that combines deep dermal rejuvenation with epidermal renewal for a combined synergetic effect, providing an improvement in the overall tone and texture of your skin, including pore size.
Chemical peels, in particular Jessner Peels, can also be effective in reducing pore size.
Book A Consultation
If you’re ready to start your journey, or just want to get a bit more information about a procedure, we encourage you to book a consultation with us. Your consultation will be a one-on-one meeting with one of our medical professionals where we can discuss your specific needs and start developing a personalized plan to achieve your goals.
Related Treatments and Procedures
Laser resurfacing with the Sciton Micron Peel or Halo can ablate or reduce enlarged pores, improving skin texture.
Chemical peels work on the top layer of the skin or epidermis to reduce enlarged pores.
The main advantage of this technique is that it is gentle and requires no significant change in normal activities.